Why become a councillor
This is an opportunity to influence what happens in Rhossili. It is important that the current opinions of the community are reflected in the make-up of the Council. If you have not been involved in the work of a small Council before, this may be just the opportunity you’re looking for. Experience is valuable and Rhossili community Council is always open to new thinking and ideas. All nominations are welcome, and especially from those parts of the community that feel they are under-represented.
What’s involved in being a Councillor
Councillors meet together in The Village Hall on the second Tuesday each month to consider regular business items and any new local issues. Sometimes there are actions for Councillors to undertake but the main work involves:
- keeping an eye on local facilities and amenities
- identifying work to be done by departments of Swansea City and Council
- feeding local opinion to Council and helping to formulate policies affecting Rhossili
- responding to planning applications for properties within RCC boundaries
- working with key partners, such as The National Trust, Village Hall and local businesses
- resolving local issues when appropriate
- representing the Rhossili community in things affecting our well-being, security, quality of live and our living environment
- introducing and supporting improvements to our village life
What to do now
Nomination Packs are available from the Clerk and fairly simple and quick to complete. If you are interested in becoming a Councillor and require assistance the Clerk or any of the current Councillors will be glad to help.
You can submit nominations at the Guildhall in Swansea between 9.30am and 4.00pm on working days from Monday 20 March 2017. The statutory deadline for nominations is 4pm on Tuesday 4 April 2017. Nominations cannot be accepted after this time.
Further guidance for Candidates regarding the election process can be obtained from the Electoral Commission. This guidance can be found at: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/candidate-or-agent/parish-and-community-council-elections-in-wales
If you are interested in becoming a Councillor and would like more information, please contact the Clerk or any of your current councillors
Clerk: Jo Scott
Telephone: 01792 391385
Address: Bellendaine, Middleton SA3 1PJ